Leaving with a programme or in an international stream is the most practical and secure solution as you remain affiliated to your school or institution. You must hold the status of secondary or higher education student and be studying for a diploma at a French institution.


  • you benefit from cooperation agreements between schools or institutions, the groundwork is done (course content, conditions of your stay) and some procedures are facilitated (recognition of qualifications, enrolment, search for accommodation, financial aid, logistical assistance).
  • Going out, recognition of qualifications is guaranteed in the exchange agreements and, coming back, your period of study abroad will be validated by your school or institution which will supply the equivalent French diploma.

However, you will only be able to go and study at a partner institution, especially if you are in higher education, after your first year and only in the European Economic Area (although opportunities are being extended to North America and Asia).